If you love peppermint and you love sugar cookies, then you will love these cookies. Super easy to make and no chilling is necessary.
Ginny’s Peppermint Sugar Cookies
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp peppermint extract
½ cup peppermint candy — finely crushed (about 6 regular size candy canes)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together in small bowl flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract until totally blended. Gradually blend in the flour,
baking soda, and baking powder mixture and crushed peppermint. Mix thoroughly until a large dough ball forms. (If dough is crumbly, mix and knead together with your hands to create dough ball.)
- Roll a teaspoon of dough into a ball. (I used a melon ball scoop t
- o measure out dough then roll into a ball with my hands.) place dough balls about 2 inches apart on un-greased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a glass slightly flatten cookie balls on cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Let the cookies cool on cookie sheet two minutes, then finish cooling on wire racks.
***I use a food processor to crush the candy canes but you can put the cane pieces into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush the candy.
***I usually make 2 sheets of cookies at a time, so when baking the cookies I use two of my oven shelves.I place a cookie sheet on each rack. I then set the timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes I move the cookie sheet from the bottom rack to the top rack and visa versa to ensure even baking.