While cruising the web the other day, came across a recipe that looked intriguing. Using it as a base, I created this super simple and easy to make recipe that received my husband’s stamp of approval. This is saying a lot as he is not fond of most white sauce based recipes. It turned out really delicious, if I say so myself. (The picture does not do it justice)
Ginny’s Ham and Cheese Spinach Tomato Tortellini
8 ounces tortellini, 3 cheese
2 teaspoon each minced garlic
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes (with garlic, onion, & basil), undrained
8 ounces ham, cubed
2 tablespoons flour
1 ½ cup half-and-half
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook tortellini in boiling water per instructions.
- While tortellini is cooking, sautee garlic for a few seconds to release flavor.
- Add canned tomato with juice and spinach. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Add ham cubes and heat through.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour and half and half.
- Add flour-half and half mixture to garlic, tomato, and spinach mixture.
- Add parmesan cheese.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Tortellini should be done now. Drain tortellini then stir into sauce and mix together.
Click HERE for PDF version of this recipe.