For some homes, gingerbread is a standard Christmas cookie staple. This is the recipe we use to make ours.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in molasses and vanilla. Mix in eggs, one at a time until everything is incorporated and light and fluffy.
- Hand mix in flour mixture to creamed mixture, a little at a time, to form a stiff dough.
- Cover dough and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Lightly floured surface then roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto un-greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet a few minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies are completely cool, use your favorite decorator’s frosting and candies, decorate cookie as desired.