Pretty in Pink

Spring is a wonderful time of year.  The trees wake up from their winter’s slumber and leaves open spreading a canopy of shade.  Flowers parade their colors as boldly as the peacock displays its feathers.  Gardeners till the soil and begin the planting for summer harvests.  All the splendors of nature come forth in a burst of newness.  But, alas, along side of this wonder there lurks those sneaky villains of itch.  Among the emerging beauty quietly grows plants that show very little mercy to its victims: the dreaded poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac.

Poison Ivy

Poison Oak

Poison Sumac

Unfortunately, I have had some pretty bad reactions from exposure to the stuff.  Over the years, I have learned to avoid it as best I could limiting the number of times I have had it.  ‘Leaves of three, leave them be’ has been my outdoors motto forever.  I avoid anything with three leaves just to be safe.   When I was about 9 or 10, in the middle of winter in New England, I had a severe case of poison ivy on my face that caused my eyes to swell nearly shut and required medical attention.  To this day I have no idea how I had come in contact with it.  Shortly after moving down here and while clearing overgrowth from the front of our home, I was introduced to the other poisonous plants.  Luckily the rashes were contained to my arms.  My son has apparently inherited my sensitivity and has been dealing with rashes on his arms and legs off and on for about a month now.  It had a few years since I’ve contacted the itchy rascal, but my luck has run out.  After working in the garden Friday and finding poison ivy growing nearby, we carefully disposed of the plant.  I never came in contact with it, but I woke up about 4:00 Sunday morning with my neck itching like the dickens.  Somehow I’ve got it.  So, I’ve applied the tried and true Calamine lotion and praying that this will be the end of it.  I have been trying to keep Sundays as a day of rest, but yesterday I had to wash everything to be sure the oils did not linger anywhere. I am thinking however, that I may have got it from Willow.  We have never had an outdoor cat before and I know she gets into everything.  It may be on her and she is sharing it with us.  Maybe she’ll need a scrubbing too?

Luckily, pink is my color.  At least it is this week.

If you would like more information about poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, check out these sites.

What Poison Ivy Looks Like

Dr. Greene Treating Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac

Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Information Center

American Academy of Dermatology

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ginny
This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Pretty in Pink

  1. CrossView says:

    We have it all and I don't like it. Thankfully, only the 26-yr old has reactions to it.

  2. kellieann says:

    Oh, yuck! Praying for a quick recovery for you!

  3. Daddy says:

    Sorry to hear that you've found the nasty plant.

    I understand that it is almost impossible to get rid of in the yard. Like a weed, it seems to come up when least expected/wanted. Maybe the dogs are "carriers"?

    Hope you get over it soon….don't forget "Benadryl".

  4. lahbluebonnet says:

    Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

  5. MMD says:

    i hate to say it but i told you so

  6. proverbsmomof3 says:

    your sympathy is overwhelming. LOL

  7. abundantblessings says:

    Those skin reactions are no fun at all. Have you tried Calagel? It's like Calamine lotion, only it's clear…no pink hue to your skin. 😉

    I'd sure think it was the cat too…I have skin irritations like that when I know I didn't touch anything..other than the cats….

    Pesky cats passing off those itchies! 🙂

    Hope you're feeling better!!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *