I am not a huge fan of peanut butter so when I was creating this cookie I had to rely on my family to let me know if it had enough flavor. After a couple of failed attempts, I got the “thumbs-up” from my husband. This soft cookie is loaded with peanut butter flavor.
Ginny’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies (with variation)
1 ½ cups white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks-I use unsalted butter)
2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1 carton prepared chocolate frosting (for cookie variation)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- In medium mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- With electric mixer in large mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars together.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add milk and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator at least one hour until dough is firm or overnight.
- Roll about 1-2 teaspoons of dough into balls. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Use a fork to make the traditional criss-cross pattern and to flatten the dough balls a bit. (You can use the bottom of a glass to flatten dough also if you do not wish to have the criss-cross pattern.)
- Bake on un-greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes until set. Do not over bake.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheets about 2-3 minutes, then move to cooling racks. Let cookies cool completely, about 15 minutes.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Variation: To make peanut butter chocolate sandwiches, simply spread a layer of frosting on the bottom of one cookie and top with another.